Saturday, February 28, 2015

National Aquarium in Baltimore, February 28, 2015

I visited the National Aquarium in Baltimore today with my friend Jeff Compton and his daughter. I haven't been to the National Aquarium in several years, so I was excited to see the changes, including the jellyfish (although I've seen a similar display in Chattanooga). The highlight actually turned out to be the birds and the Golden Lion Tamarin/Marmoset. I've been wanting to see a marmoset there for YEARS and finally I saw one today.

Birds (and a bat) first:










 
They've changed the dolphin setup. They no longer do scheduled shows, which is nice for the dolphins, and even nicer for the visitor, because the little amphitheater is basically deserted.
 



I FINALLY saw the Tamarin!














And finally, some video (sound edited out) of the jellies.


I hope you enjoyed the photos. For the curious, today I was using my lightweight Canon EOS Rebel SL1, which is my "I'm definitely not a professional photographer so don't hassle me" camera along with my Canon EF 50/1.8 "plastic fantastic" lens (for the jellies) and my ancient "I'm not a professional because it isn't white please ignore the red ring" telephoto Canon EF 100-300/5.6L lens (for the birds, bat, dolphins, and tamarin). All rights are reserved on the photos and videos, please do not use them without my permission, although you're certainly welcome to link to this posting or share the link to the YouTube video. In all, a pleasant way to spent a cold day in Baltimore. And it WAS cold. The Inner Harbor was frozen.





No comments: